Nutritional Supplements Library
What is beta sitosterol?
Beta-sitosterol is a phytosterol(plant alcohol) in the diet. The most prevalent phytosterols in the diet are beta-sitosterol, campesterol and stigmasterol.Beta-sitosterol is extremely insoluble in aqueous media and poorly soluble in lipid media. It is found in nature in ester and glycoside forms, both of which forms are more soluble than beta-sitosterol itself.It's structural is similar to the cholesterol made in our bodies. Its close chemical resemblance to cholesterol enables it to block the absorption of cholesterol by competitive inhibition. Although beta-sitosterol is not well absorbed by the body (5-10%), when consumed with cholesterol it effectively blocks cholesterol's absorption, resulting in lower serum cholesterol levels. Beta-sitosterol has also been shown to improve lipoprotein (HDL, LDL) profiles.Beta-sitosterol is commonly found in foods such as wheat germ, ricebran,soybeans,nuts,fruits and corn oil.
What is the effective dosage of beta sitosterol supplementation?
The effective dosages of beta sitosterol supplementation are ,
• 300 mg to 5 grams per day for reduction of high blood cholesterol.
• Between 60 and 130 mg per day for prostatic hyperplasia-related symptoms.
• 300 mg supplement per day is recommended as dietary health supplements.
What are the benefits of beta sitesterol supplementation?
• Beta sitesterol minimizes the conversion of testosterone to DHT (dihydrotestosterone), therefore protects prostate,breast ,colon gland and hair follicle.
• It has Anti inflammation effect.
• It may boost immune system.
• It may also help to normalize blood sugar.
• It reduces the absorption of cholesterol.
What are the side effects of beta sitesterol supplementation?
Although few people have experienced stomach upset and digestion, it is considered as safe supplement. More clinical studies are required to establish it's Long-term safety as a dietary supplement
• It may interfere with beta-carotene and vitamin E absorption, resulting in lower blood levels of these nutrients.
• Consult your doctor if you are pregnant or breast feeding women before taking it.