1) Sit with the spine erect and legs outstretched.
2) Place the hands to the side of the right hip.
3) Move the right hand back slightly further behind the body with fingers pointing backwards
4) Twist the trunk 90 degrees to the right, using the arms and shoulders as levers. Slowly bend the torso and bring the forehead to the floor, close to the hand placed behind the body. The spine should be as straight as possible.
5) Try to keep both buttocks on the floor.Hold the final position for a short time.
6) Slowly raise and return to the starting position.
7) Repeat the movement on the other side. This completes one round.
Inhale while facing forward.Retain the breath in while twisting. Exhale while bending.Retain the breath out in the final position. Inhale while raising the trunk. Exhale while re-centring the body.
This asana stretches the spine muscle group, making the muscles supple and stimulating the nerves.
1) Women more than two or three months pregnant should avoid this practice.
2) People suffering from peptic ulcer, hernia or hyperthyroidism should avoid this.
3) People with sciatica or slipped disc may benefit from this asana, but great care should be taken.