Mayur Deshpande
  Personal trainer in Mumbai
Nutritional Supplements Library Casein

Nutritional Supplements Library

Casein


What is casein?

Casein is the predominant phosphoprotein found in fresh milk and also in cheese. While whey makes up about 20% of the protein content in cow milk, casein makes up the other 80%. When coagulated with rennet (digestive enzyme), casein is sometimes called paracasein. It is relatively hydrophobic, making it poorly soluble in water. It is found in milk as a suspension of particles called casein. It contains all amino acids. It exists in milk as water soluble calcium salt.Casein is usually prepared by acid precipitation. This treatment removes the calcium cation, leaving a water insoluble phosphoprotein.Generally(in process) acetic acid is used because it is less harsh over hydrochloric acid. Casein is usually found in three forms, calcium caseinate, micellar casein, and milk protein isolate. Calcium caseinate is considered to be lower quality, while micellar casein and the casein in milk protein isolate are identical.Casein protein has been used by athletes for decades for its anticatabolic (muscle sparing) properties.It is also used because it is a slow digesting source of amino acids.


USP of casein over whey protein.

• Casein has anticatabolic (muscle sparing) effect.
• Casein contains more glutamine and tyrosine than any other protein. With most of it in peptide form, which gets absorbed better by the intestines.
• Casein is a slow-digesting protein. As such, it makes an excellent meal replacement for bodybuilders when there isn't access or enough time for a full meal. Casein takes considerably longer to digest than whey (and other forms of powdered proteins), meaning that your body will get a slower and steadier release of amino acids, protecting against muscle breakdown until your next meal.
• It helps increase muscle protein synthesis and builds muscles. Casein also makes an excellent meal before bedtime. After this meal, you generally go for hours without food. Casein protein shakes will stay with your body longer than other forms, helping to stave off muscle catabolism (breakdown) until your next meal in the morning.


What are the side effects of casein protein?

There are no major side effects of casein protein (unless you are allergic to it). But Casein has a higher lactose and sodium content so water retention and some stomach discomfort could result. People with lactose intolerance should avoid taking it in high amount.