Nutritional Supplements Library
What is celery seed?
Celery is a plant in botanical family Apiaceae. It grows to 1 m tall, with pinnate to bipinnate leaves with rhombic leaflets 3-6 cm long and 2-4 cm broad. The flowers are creamy-white, 2-3 mm diameter, produced in dense compound umbels. The seeds are broad ovoid to globose, 1.5-2 mm long and wide.The plant grows in North and South America, Europe, Asia, and Africa. It is used in Ayurvedic medicine for asthma, bronchitis, hiccups, flatulence, and as a nerve tonic; and in Mainland China; it is taken to reduce hypertension.
The Greeks and Romans used Celery for medicinal and culinary purposes, and there was even a popular belief that it was an aphrodisiac. It was also regarded in ancient times to have magical properties and was frequently associated with rites and celebrations of death and the underworld. In the middle Ages, Italian farmers began to cultivate "smallage," and once begun, this cultivation steadily improved its quality. When the seeds were first used is not clear, but we know that the English herbalist Nicholas Culpepper wrote in 1653 that Celery Seeds would "sweeten and purify the blood".Latest research has proved that celery seed contains 3B (3-nbutylphthalide) which is responsible for the diuretic property, characteristic flavor and odor of celery.
What is the effective dosage of celery seed?
Follow the instruction written on products.
What are the benefits of celery seed?
• Celery seed diuretic action(due to 3B(3-nbutylphthalide) ) not only promotes the flow of urine and uric acid excretions from the kidneys, but its antiseptic properties ease urinary inflammation and benefits the overall health of the urinary tract.
• It is used to treat inflammation in arthritis and rheumatism.
• The root is an effective diuretic and has been taken for urinary stones and gravel.
• It also acts as a bitter digestive remedy and liver stimulant.
• It is a popular folk remedy for promoting the onset of menstruation.
• It also helps to flush impurities (including uric acid and other toxins) from the kidneys.
• It can help soothe the nerves and relieve pain.
• Its diuretic effect is also use to treat hypertension.
What are the side effects of celery seed?
Celery seeds are very safe without any side effects. But it's diuretic effect can deplete your body of potassium, which is an essential nutrient.
• Active compounds in celery stems and seeds can cause the skin to become highly sensitive to UV rays (called photodermatitis). For this reason, people taking celery seed should use sunscreen or sunblock lotions to protect their skin from the sun
• Avoid the oil and large doses of the seeds during pregnancy: they can act as a uterine stimulant.
• Do not ingest seeds intended for cultivation, because they are often treated with fungicides.
• Diuretics can deplete your body of potassium, which is an essential nutrient.