Nutritional Supplements Library
What is Cyclodextrin?
Cyclodextrins are bucket-shaped oligosaccharides produced from starch.It is class of molecules composed of glucose units connected by -1, 4 glycosidic linkages to form a series of oligosaccaride rings. As a result of their molecular structure and shape, they possess a unique ability to act as molecular containers by entrapping guest molecules in their internal cavity. The resulting inclusion complexes offer a number of potential advantages in pharmaceutical formulations.Cyclodextrins are able to form host-guest complexes with hydrophobic molecules given the unique nature imparted by their structure. As a result these molecules have found a number of applications in a wide range of fields.
What are the benefits of Cyclodextrin supplementation?
• In the food industry cyclodextrins are employed for the preparation of cholesterol free products: the bulky and hydrophobic cholesterol molecule is easily lodged inside cyclodextrin rings that are then removed, leaving behind a "low fat" food.
• Other food applications further include the ability to stabilize unstable compounds and the reduction of unwanted tastes and odour.
• It increases the water solubility of poorly soluble drugs to improve their bioavailability.
• It is used to reduce dermal, gastrointestinal irritation, mask unpleasant tastes or odors, prevent adverse drug-ingredient interactions and convert oils/liquids into powders to improve handling.
• Active ingredients that irritate the stomach, skin or eye can be encapsulated within a Cyclodextrin to reduce their irritancy.
What are the side effects of Cyclodextrin supplementation?
There are no known side effects of cyclodextrin.More studies are required to establish the side effects of Cyclodextrin. Scientist should also work on using cyclodextrin as masking agent for anabolic steroid users.