Mayur Deshpande
  Personal trainer in Mumbai
Nutritional Supplements Library Fish oil

Nutritional Supplements Library

Fish oil


What is fish oil?

//

Fish oils, also known as marine oils, are essential fatty acids (lipids) found in fish, particularly cold water fish, and other marine life such as phytoplankton. Fish oil is oil derived from the tissues of oily fish. This oil naturally contains the Omega-3 fatty acids, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Fish oil is now recommended for a healthy diet. It is beneficial to eat fish once a week (or more) but care must be taken to avoid the fish species which contain the toxin mercury or other contaminants such as Chlordane.
Fish is a good source of protein and doesn't have the high saturated fat that fatty meat products do. Most fish oil supplements are about 20% EPA and 10% DHA, or a total of 30% omega-3. Following ingestion EPA and DHA are transported by the circulatory system to various tissues of the body where they are used mainly for the synthesis of phospholipids. These phopholipids in turn are incorporated into the cell membranes of blood platelets, blood cells and central nervous system cells, as well as many others.


What is the effective dosage of fish oil supplementation?

The effective dosage is 1 to 2 grams per day.

What are the benefits of fish oil supplementation?

• Fish oil reduces LDL cholesterol.
• It has anti-inflammation properties.
• It helps to lower blood pressure.
• It is effective in treating Rheumatoid arthritis.


What are the side effects of fish oil supplementation?

They are no known side effects of fish oil supplementation in moderation.
Cautions-
• For purchasing fish oil dietary supplements, it is often recommended to seek a label certifying the product to be distilled, pharmaceutical grade fish oil, and free of mercury and other toxins.
• Very large intakes of fish oil/omega-3 fatty acids ("Eskimo" amounts) may increase the risk of hemorrhagic (bleeding) stroke."