Nutritional Supplements Library
Flax seed oil
What is flax seed oil?
Flax seed oil is oil extracted from Flax. Flax (also known as Common Flax or Linseed) is a member of the genus Linum in the family Linaceae. It is an erect annual plant growing to 120 cm tall, with slender stems. The leaves are glaucous green, slender lanceolate, 2-4 cm long and 3 mm broad. The flowers are pure pale blue, 1.5-2.5 cm diameter, with five petals. The fruit is a round, dry capsule 5-9 mm diameter, containing several glossy brown seeds shaped like an apple pip, 4-7 mm long.Flax Seed Oil contains omega-3,omega-6 and omega-9 essential fatty acids, B vitamins, potassium, lecithin, magnesium, fiber, protein, and zinc.
What is the effective dosage of flax seed oil supplementation?
The effective dosage of flax seed oil is 5 to 10 g or 1 to 3 tablespoon taken 3 times a day.
What are the benefits of flax seed oil supplementation?
• Flax seed oil (Omega-3 fatty acids) helps to lower cholesterol and blood triglycerides, and prevent clots in arteries, which may result in strokes, heart attacks and thromboses.
• It shortens recovery time for fatigued muscles after exertion.
• It stabilizes blood sugar.
• It lowers high blood pressure in Hypertension sufferers.
• It can be applied externally to soften dry skin.
• It acts as a buffer for excess stomach acids
• It soothes ulcers and irritable bowel disorders
• It lubricates and absorbs toxins
• It prevents toxic build up in the bowel
• It may lower the risk of breast, prostate, and colon cancers and reducing the inflammation of arthritis.
What are the side effects of flax seed oil supplementation?
There are no reported side effects associated with faxseed oil supplementation in moderation.
• Always look for flax seed oil capsules (dark coated soft gels) or oil that is bottled in amber-brown bottles, as these are more resistant to the light and oxygen. Make sure you refrigerate your flax seed oil to help extend its shelf life.
• Flaxseed oil sold for planting, painting, or other purposes should not be used as a supplement, additive, or external application for the body.
• It is not for pregnant or breast feeding women or childrens.