Nutritional Supplements Library
What is Guggul?
Guggul is a flowering plant in the family Burseraceae.it's botanical name is Commiphora mukul .The guggul plant may be found from northern Africa to central Asia, but is most common in northern India. It is a shrub or small tree, reaching a maximum height of 4 m, with thin papery bark. The branches are thorny. The leaves are simple or trifoliate, the leaflets ovate, 1-5 cm long, 0.5-2.5 cm broad, irregularly toothed. It contains phytosterols named guggulsterones, organic acids, aromatic acids, diterpenes, lignans, sterols, steroids, esters and fatty acid alcohols.
The oleoresin contains 0.37% essential oil mainly Myrecene, Dimyrecene, and Polymyrecene. Commercial products of guggul is the yellowish resin (or gum) which is harvested from the plant's bark through the process of tapping.Guggul is also referred as guggul gum, guggal, gugglesterone, guggul, gugulu and gum gugal.Guggul plays a major role in the traditional herbal medicine of India. It is often combined with other herbs and used in the treatment of arthritis, skin diseases, pains in the nervous system, obesity, digestive problems, infections in the mouth, and menstrual problems.
What is the effective dosage of Guggul supplementation?
Daily recommendations for the purified guggul extract are typically based on the amount of guggulsterones in the extract. The dosage of guggulsterones is 25 mg two or three times daily. Most extracts contain 2.5-5% guggulsterones and can be taken daily for 3 to six months.
What are the benefits of Guggul supplementation?
• Guggul is used in the form of lotion for indolent Ulcers and as a gargle in chronic Tonsillitis, Pharyngitis, Laryngitis and Bronchitis, Nasal catarrh.
• It facilitates thyroid function and it is also very effective to lose weight.
• It lowers LDL cholesterol and raises the level of good cholesterol (HDL).
• It has anti oxidant effect.
• It has Anti-inflammatory properties.
• It causes an increase in leukocytes in the blood and stimulates Phagocytosis.
What are the side effects of Guggul supplementation?
It is safe at recommended dosage. Modern extracts are more purified and fewer side effects such as nausea, vomiting, mild cases of diarrhea, indigestion, and flatulence have been reported with long-term use.
• If you have any health problem Consult your doctor before taking it.