Nutritional Supplements Library
Lipoic acid(alpha lipoic acid)
What is Lipoic acid?
Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) is an antioxidant. An antioxidant helps neutralize free radicals in our bodies and protects our cells from damage. A free radical is an unstable molecule that tries to steal electrons from other molecules, thus causing damage. Smoking, pollution, car exhaust, fried foods are some sources of free radicals. It is both fat and water soluble. This is important because Alpha Lipoic Acid can access all parts of the cell, giving it tremendous ability to trap free radicals wherever they may be. One of the leading causes of the symptoms we know as aging is free radical damage. ALA is one of the very few substances that can actually cross the blood/brain barrier to enter the brain and go directly where it is needed most.
ALA supplementation causes increased levels of glutathione, which helps the body dispose of toxins. This is important as glutathione protects the brain from free radical damage, and low levels of glutathione in the brain are associated with brain disorders such as stroke, dementia, Parkinson's and Alzheimer's disease. Normally once an antioxidant has eliminated a free radical, it is lost forever. Lipoic acid is the only antioxidant with the unique ability to regenerate/recycle itself, and enhances other antioxidants such as vitamins C & E, so that they can continue destroying free radicals. This is why ALA is known as a network antioxidant. ALA can be found in foods such as meats, and spinach.
What is the effective dosage of lipoic acid supplementation?
The effective dosage for general health and as antioxidant formula is 15 to 125 mg per day. To treat health related issues ,it is safe to take doctor's opinion.
What are the benefits of lipoic acid supplementation?
• ALA is the best antioxidant which destroys free radicals (cause damage to body)
• It enables your skeletal muscle bellies to hold more nutrients such as glycogen and amino acids.
• It helps to uptake glucose in skeletal muscle.
• ALA will be more beneficial for individuals with some of the following conditions:
• Diabetes or higher than normal blood sugar levels
• Have high cholesterol levels
• Are affected by cataracts (in early stages), by protecting both the Lens and the Retina from degeneration.
• Cardiovascular problems such as hardening of arteries
• Alpha lipoic acid increases the production of gluthathione which helps dissolve toxic substances in the liver by neutralizing free radicals produced in our bodies and protecting cells.
• It enhances the functions of these substances; proteins, insulin, carbodydrate, enzymes, kreb cycle, vitamins and minerals.
What are the side effects of lipoic acid supplementation?
Higher doses of ALA can cause nausea and upset stomachs, and excessive doses can even lead to low blood sugar. Otherwise it is very safe and effective supplementation for both sexes and all ages. Pregnant or lactating women can take it under doctor's supervision.
• The S- form of ALA is a waste of money and time. It is weaker version. If you really want to get benefit from alpha lipoic acid supplementation,always use R+alpha lipoic acid.