Nutritional Supplements Library
What is lobelia?
Lobelia (also known as Indian tobacco, Asthma Weed, Pukeweed, or Vomitwort) is a genus in the family Campanulaceae, Lobelia (Lobelia inflata).It grows up to 2-3 ft.,it's stems produce lavender-blue, tubular flowers crowded together on the upper stem. Showy, bright blue flowers are in the axils of leafy bracts and form an elongated cluster on a leafy stem. it has a long history of use in connection with respiratory ailments, such as asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia, and coughs. Lobelia was a common herb prescribed by early North American doctors.
What is the effective dosage of lobelia supplementation?
Follow the direction written on product label.
What are the benefits of lobelia supplementation?
• It has anti-asthma activity consists of stimulating the adrenal glands to release the hormone epinephrine, which causes the airways to relax.
• It is also used to treat food poisoning.
• It is powerful and overall relaxtant.
• It dilates the bronchioles (air passages), thereby increasing respiration and possibly helping the lungs. Lobelia is rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, and manganese.
• It is considered beneficial for treating mild depression, reducing inflammation & pain, easing muscle tension, and calming the nerves. It also acts as a mild laxative for alleviating constipation.
• Lobelia is often used as a tobacco substitute to help those who wish to quit smoking - the alkaloid Lobeline mimics the effects of nicotine.
What are the side effects of lobelia supplementation?
At high dosage, Side effects of lobelia include vomiting and nausea.
• It's use can be addictive.
• It is not for children or pregnant or breast feeding women