Obesity can be defined as accumulation of excess adipose tissue in the body, more than 20 % of the desirable weight.
Overweight- 10-20% more weight than standard weight according to sex , height & age.
Causes of Obesity
Genetic factors-Within families 80% chances are possible if both parents are obese, and 50 % chances if one parent is obese. Genetic inheritance influences 50-70% a persons chance of becoming fat than any other factor. •
Physical activity-person who generally lives sedentary life are more prone to obesity, due to decrease in physical activity without decreasing food consumption . it can occur at any age .Now school age childrens are also obese due to spending more time at television, computers, studies and not participating in outdoor games, use of vehicles to school instead of cycle. •
Age & sex-Obesity can occur at any age in either sex as long as person is consuming more calories than expenditure, that is positive energy balance. •
Wrong eating habits- like-1. People who eat outside home more frequently are prone to obesity.
2. Who eat faster & take less time for chewing , so they consume more food.
3. Nibbling between meals is common among housewives.
4. Some may eat when surrounded by tasty food instead when really hungry.
5. Housewives who do not want leftover foods to be thrown out may consume forcibaly and put on weight.
6. Children who eat more junk food
7. People who eat more food when they are unhappy as compensation mechanism. •
Endocrine factor-obesity is found in hypothyroidism. It is common at puberty , pregnancy, menopause.
Theories on obesity.
Fat cell theory -Juvenile onset obesity caused by an increase in the number of fat cells while adult onset obesity caused by increase in size of fat cell. The number of fat cell can reduces as the result of sustain weight loss.
Set point theory-E ach person has ideal biological weight set point, once body weight reaches to this point , it influences the persons food intake to maintain this weight. Medical problem arises when size of fat cells are more than number fat cells.
Leptin-It is a hormone which promotes negative energy balance by suppressing appetite and increasing energy expenditure. But people with genetically defect of leptine shows poor appetite control.
• Take diet which is adequate in all nutrients , except calories and should be high in fiber.
• Add plenty of soups , salads , buttermilk , sprouts, citrus fruits in diet.
• Take 4 - 5 small meals everyday.
• Do not keep stomach empty more than 4 hours.
• Eat fruits instead of fruit juices.
• The ideal way of reducing weight is not only reducing the calorie intake but also spending more calorie
• Try to eat foods in their natural form that is in unprocessed form.
• Try to avoid the alcohol consumption.