Nutritional Supplements Library
Panax ginseng(Korean ginseng)
What is panax ginseng?
Panax ginseng or Korean ginseng is a plant from Araliaceae family. It is native to china and Korea. As a part of traditional Chinese medicine for thousands of years, Panax ginseng has been used to treat almost every possible ailment from anxiety to cancer. Panax ginseng is related to American ginseng, but they differ in some important aspects. Panax ginseng is native to Asia, while American ginseng originated on the North American continent. The two plants have slightly different chemical compositions.Its name comes from the Chinese "jen shen," which means "man root," so-named because some roots have limb-like branches resembling arms and legs. Because the root has a human-like shape, it is considered by Orientals to be an overall body tonic.
What are the benefits of panax ginseng supplementation?
• Panax ginseng is used to treat erectile dysfunction in men.
• It enhances male fertility by increasing sperm count, quality, and movement,
• It inhibits fatigue and promote recovery from fatigue.
• It has anti-inflammatory, Anti-coagulant and antioxidant properties.
• In folk remedies it is used for overall wellbeing.
• It is also used to improve stamina( no clear evidence).
What are the side effects of panax ginseng supplementation?
It is very safe and effective at moderate dosage. Insomnia is a common side effect from ginseng overuse (high dosage than recommended).
• Consult your doctor if you are pregnant or breast feeding women, because many extracts contain high level of alcohol.
• It may cause an effect similar to that of estrogen, and estrogenic side effects includes Vaginal bleeding after menopause, breast enlargement in males, irregular menstruation.