Nutritional Supplements Library
What is S- adenosylmethionine(SAM)?
S-adenosyl methionine (SAM) is a biological compound involved in methyl group transfers, and is present in all living cells. It is not an herbal remedy, but rather a compound produced by our bodies from methionine. Methionine is an amino acid found in protein-rich foods. It is variously known as ademetionine .It was first discovered in 1952.it offers various health benefits.
What is the effective dosage of Sam supplementation?
The following are the effective dosage of SAM-e for various conditions ;
• Osteoarthritis (Joint Health) - 800 to 1,200 mg a day
• Depression - 400 to 1,600 mg a day
• Fibromyalgia - 800 mg per day
• Liver disorders - 1,200 mg per day.
• Migraine - 1,200 mg per day.
What are the benefits of SAM supplementation?
• S-adenosylmethionine (SAM) helps with the maintenance of cell membranes, removal of toxic substances from the body, and the production of mood-enhancing neurotransmitters.
• It is very effective against arthritic inflammation and fibromyalgia. Studies show that SAM-e may reduce stiffness; pain and swelling in arthritic joints, as well as improve overall joint health.
• It also appears to lower homocystein levels which when elevated, can increase your risk of heart attack and stroke.
• It may be helpful for promoting mood and emotional well-being and has been used by some people for the treatment of depression.
• It may also be helpful for various liver conditions including cirrhosis.
What are the side effects of SAM supplementation?
A few people taking high doses have reported mild gastrointestinal upsets (such as stomach pain, diarrhea, nausea and flatulence), anxiety, insomnia, hyperactive muscle movement, and hypomania. However, many of these symptoms will diminish when supplementation is stopped.They are no known toxic effects of SAM, but It is important to note that SAMe has not been tested completely. For this reason, it is not yet known whether SAMe is safe or not.
•more clinical research is required to establish all positive and negative aspects of SAM so consult your doctor before taking it.