Nutritional Supplements Library
What is Yerba mate supplementation?
Yerba mate (Spanish) or Erva mate (Portuguese) (Ilex paraguariensis) is a plant,in the family Aquifoliaceae, native to subtropical South America in Argentina, southern Paraguay, southern Uruguay and southern Brazil.The yerba mate plant is a shrub or small tree growing up to 15 meters tall. The leaves are evergreen, 7-11 cm long and 3-5.5 cm wide, with a serrated margin. The flowers are small, greenish-white, with four petals. The fruit is a red berry 4-6 mm diameter. The infusion called mate is prepared by steeping the dried leaves in hot water rather than boiling water like tea or coffee.Yerba Mate contains xanthines, which are alkaloids in the same family as caffeine, theophylline, and theobromine, well-known stimulants also found in coffee and chocolate. Mate also contains the chemical elements potassium, magnesium and manganese. Caffeine content varies between 0.3% and 1.7% of dry weight.
What is the effective dosage of Yerba mate supplementation?
Follow the instruction written on product label.
What are the benefits of Yerba mate supplementation?
• It is a good source of Vit-B-1, Vit-B-2, Vit-A, Riboflavin, carotene, pantothenic acid, Inositol and 15 amino acids.
• Yerba mate is a powerful antioxidant.
• In folk medicines it has been used as aromatic, stimulant, bitter, aperient (laxative), astringent, diuretic, purgative, sudorific (sweat inducing), and febrifuge (fever reducing).
• It may aid in weight loss.
• Water consumption (with tea) should be minimal in order to intake maximum nutrients(chemicals).
• It is not for pregnant or breast feeding women.
• It is not safe for hypertensive people.